Sunday, April 19, 2009

Jewels

My love was nude, but, knowing my desir,
Ha donned he sunding jewels, an attire
That, with its air of triumph rich and brve,
Recalled some sultan's proud and favored slave.

That radiant world of gem and metal dancing
Striks forth a music mocking and entanc ing;
I love it madl, for my chief dlight
Is in the interplay of sound and light.

She lay there, then, andlet herslf be love,d
And from her couch she smiled down and approvd
My deep, calm love that rose to her as if
It were an ocean mounting to a cliff.

Eyeing me like a well-tamed tigress there,
She poed with  distracted dreamy air,
And candour joined to lewdness lent a new
Strange charm to metamorphoses I knew.

Her oil-bright, swan-like arms, les, loins and thighs,
All unduating, passed befor my eyes
Clairvoyant nd serene; those fruits of mine,
Her belly and breasts, the cluster on my vine,

Advanced like evil angels to cajole
And trouble te quiescence of my soul,
Dislodging her from the crystal rock whre she
In solitude was resting peacefully.

SHE SO thrust out her pelvis that it seemed
She ade Antiope's plum p hips combine
With the smooth bust of a youth in a new design.
On her tawny skin rouge exquisitely gleamed.

And as the dead lamp left us half in gloom,
And now th hearth alone lit up the room,
With every flaming sih there came a flood
Of light tha drowned her amber skin in blood.

CHARLES DAUDELAIRE (1821-67)

No comments:

Post a Comment