Thursday, April 23, 2009

To Mary Scurlock, 1707

Madam,

  It is the hardest thing in the world to be in love and yet attend to business. As for me, all who speak to me find me out, and I must lock myself up or other people will do it for me.

  A gentleman asked me this morning, 'What news from Lisbon?' and I answered, 'She is exquisitely handsome.' Another desired to know when I had been last at Hampton Court. I replied, 'It will be on Tuesday come se'n night. Prythee, allow me at least to kiss your hand before that day, that my mind may be in some composure. 'O love!-

A thousand torments dwell about me!
Yet who would live to live without thee?

Methinks I could write a volume to you; but all the language on earth would fail in saying how much and with what disinterested passion I am ever yours.

RICHARD STEELE (1672-1729)

No comments:

Post a Comment