Tuesday, June 23, 2009

To John Middleton Murry, 1917

Last night, before you got into bed, you stood, quite naked, bending forward a little, talking. It was only for an instant. I swa you - I loved youso, loved your body with such tenderness. Ah, my dear! And I am noth thinking now of 'passion'. No, of that other thing that makes me feel that every inch of you is so precious to me - your soft shoulders - your creamy warm skin, your ears cold like shells are cold - you long legs and your feed that I love to clasp with my feet - the feeling of your belly - and your thin young back. Just below that bone that sticks out at the back of your neck you have a little mole. It is partly because we are young tat I feel this tenderness. I love your youth. I could not bear that it should be touched even by a cold wind if I were the Lord.

We two, you know, have everything before us, and we shall do very great things, I have prefect faith in us, and so perfect is my love for your that I am, as itwere, still, silent to my very soul. I want nobody but you for my lover and my friend and to nobody but you shall I be faithful.

I am yours for ever
Tig

KATHERINE MANSFIELD (1888-1923)

No comments:

Post a Comment